Funeral Planning Checklist
Download a Free Funeral Planning Guide Now
Planning your funeral in advance ensures that your wishes are fulfilled, but many people are unsure of how to even start the process. This is why MemorialPlanning.com has put together a simple funeral planning checklist/guide for those who are planning a funeral.
You can browse the different elements needed for planning a funeral below, and you can also get a free funeral pre-planning information guide to learn more.
Plan Your Story
and Earn Peace of Mind
Your funeral might be decades away, but planning your burial now relieves some of the future stress of your loved ones having to hurriedly make arrangements at high costs when the time eventually does come.
Planning your story with our free pre-planning funeral guide gives your loved ones the chance to treasure the memories they shared with you, rather than worrying about the burden of funeral costs and expectations. It lets you set your legacy how you want to be remembered.
Get Your Funeral Planning Checklist
What to Expect in Your Pre-planned Funeral Checklist
1. Type of Burial: To start, you'll want to choose what type of burial you would prefer. Some of these burial options include
2. Funeral Services / Events: This category includes the actual ceremony that precedes the burial or cremation. For instance, would you prefer a memorial service followed by a graveside service, or a funeral service in your own home. Other options here include a wake prior to the funeral or a religious mourning event.
3. Burial Products: These products include casket vaults, flowers, an urn (if you choose cremation), and a headstone, among other products. This is also where you would choose specific options like the types of flowers, the engraved text on the headstone etc.
4. Choosing a Cemetery: Some already know the cemetery in which they wish to be buried, but if you're not sure, you can check out an online directory to find cemeteries in your area. If you prefer cremation, you may want to consider a scatter garden.
5. Personal Touches: This final category allows you to personalize your funeral and burial even further. This is where you choose music and/or hymns for your service, who will be delivering readings and what readings, who will be delivering eulogies, who will be pallbearers, etc.
Funeral Planning & Pre-Planning Resources
Looking for more information on how to plan your funeral? Check out the links below:
- Retire Happy by Planning Ahead: Helpful advice on planning for retirement, including planning your burial well in advance.
- Average Burial Plot Costs in the United States: See the average burial plots by U.S. state, and more information related to plots.
- Guide on Choosing Remembrance Quotes: Need to find a quote that encapsulates the life of a loved one (or even your own, if performing burial planning) for a eulogy, grave marker, or other need? This guide can help.
- What is a Natural Burial: If you're considering a natural burial, this interview is a great place to get information.
- Cemetery Directory: Browse cemeteries now to find one near you.
- Creative Grave Monument Ideas: Some excellent creative ideas that can be used when planning a funeral.
- Search Burial Products: Browse burial products to decide what is a good fit for your funeral.