Do Veterans get Buried for Free
Options for Veterans
Because of the sacrifices made by members of the armed services, many privately-owned cemeteries offer various burial benefits to veterans and their families. And in some specific cases, veterans can get buried for free. As the sacrifices made by those who have served cannot be overstated, veterans burial benefits are offered to honor those in the military.
With this in mind, what sort of benefits are available? And in what circumstances do veterans get buried for free? The answer depends on a few different factors.
Burial Benefits for Veterans
Ultimately the answer regarding available veteran burial benefits depends on the individual service member and the cemetery in which he or will be buried. Here are a few of the potential benefits. Please use the information below to check eligibility.
- Some privately-owned cemeteries offer discounts and other benefits to veterans and their families. As each cemetery is different, we recommend contacting a cemetery near you to learn more.
- Some government benefits are also available to veterans and their family. We recommend you visit usa.gov to find out more about what benefits may or may not be available to you or your loved one.
- Some veterans may be eligible for a military funeral honors ceremony, a burial flag, or a Presidential Memorial Certificate provided by the government at no cost.
- Other possible benefits include opening and closing of the grave, a headstone or marker, and ongoing care of the gravesite. As the U.S. government would provide these benefits, we recommend you check with the website above for eligibility.
- Additionally, the U.S. government offers some veteran burial benefits to surviving spouses and children of veterans.